Open Position: Graduate Representative, Doctoral-Granting Institution
The Student Assembly is seeking applicants for a Graduate Representative, Doctoral-Granting Institutions.
The Graduate Representative is required to attend all Executive Committee meetings and the bi-annual conferences. In addition, The Graduate Representative must keep consistent contact with their assigned campuses, serve on at least one committee and participate in conference calls with other State-Operated Campuses representatives. The Graduate Representative must also submit a report of their work each month. The duties, spelled out further, are below:
- Consistently connect with the student leaders they represent, both physically and electronically.
- Attend a monthly Executive Committee meeting with a report on their work and updates from the campuses they represent.
- Serve on state-wide standing or ad-hoc committees of the Student Assembly.
- Attend monthly Executive Committee meetings and visit the respective campuses they represent.
- Work collaboratively with the other Representatives on policy proposals and legislative priorities of their campuses.
Eligible candidates must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.25 and be enrolled in a graduate program at one of the following campuses:
- University at Albany
- Binghamton University
- University at Buffalo
- College of Environmental Science and Forestry
- College of Optometry
- Downstate Medical University
- Stony Brook University
- SUNY Polytechnic Institute
- Upstate Medical University
Having a high degree of initiative, the ability to complete work without regular direction, proficiency in written/email communications, and possess strong oral communication skills is preferred.
Please answer these prompts in a cover letter format:
- What would you say are the most pronounced issues facing graduate students in the system?
- Why do you think you would make an effective representative and advocate for graduate students
- How do you believe your experience will benefit the Student Assembly as a whole?
Interested candidates should send a cover letter answering the above prompts and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10th, 2018.